The offices of the Parks and Recreation Department are located at the Park House, 340 Recreation Park Road, Manchester Center, VT 05255. Questions? Call 802-362-1439 or email email@example.com.
The Dana L. Thompson Memorial Park, also known as the Rec. Park by local residents, was named in honor of Police Chief Dana L. Thompson, who was killed in the line of duty in 1972. The Park encompasses more than 88 acres, the newly erected Park House, 6 lane swimming pool, diving board and kiddie pool, three baseball diamonds, multipurpose athletic fields, three playgrounds for kids of all ages, one-mile walking path, a dog park that is owned and operated by the Manchester Dog Park (a not-for-profit organization), a skateboard park, outdoor basketball courts and three tennis courts. A trail in the northeast corner of the Park leads to Riley Rink and a trail in the southeast corner leads to Manchester Elementary-Middle School (MEMS) and downtown Manchester. Limited public WiFi is available near the Park House, including Applejack Field, Eckhardt Field and McClellan Field. Restrooms are available at the Park House, on the south side of the building. The Park is open daily until 10:00 PM and is located off of Bonnet Street (Route 30) on Recreation Park Road in Manchester Center. Click her to view a Visitors’ Map of the Dana L. Thompson Memorial Park.
For the health and convenience of the public, the Dana L. Thompson Memorial Park is a smoke- and tobacco-free Park. Dogs must be leashed except inside the fenced dog park.
The Park House is located at the Dana L. Thompson Memorial Park. Built in 2013, this newly erected 4,500 square foot facility includes a 900 square foot Activity Room (complete with gas fireplace, kitchenette, tables and chairs for about 90 people, large screen high definition TV, blu-ray player, Wii, and sound system), vending machines, public Wi-Fi, first-aid room, bathrooms, changing rooms and showers, and houses the Parks and Recreation Department offices. The Activity Room is available for rent. For more details contact the Parks and Recreation Department at (802) 362-1439 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The Park House address is 340 Recreation Park Road in Manchester Center.
The Manchester swimming pool, located at the Dana L. Thompson Memorial Park, is open in the summer months, typically from the middle of June to just before Labor Day. The 6 lane swimming pool includes a diving board, smaller wading pool for younger children and an outdoor sound system. The pool is available for private parties. Public Wi-Fi is available. For more details about the pool, user fees and the pool schedule please contact the Parks and Recreation Department at (802) 362-1439 or email@example.com.
Applejack Field, located at the Dana L. Thompson Memorial Park, is a championship quality regulation (up to 120 yards by 75 yards) soccer, football and lacrosse field complete with lighting, announcing booth and historic grandstand. In 2016, the Town, in partnership with Burr and Burton Academy, Manchester Elementary Middle School, Equinox Lacrosse and Manchester Youth Soccer League, constructed two new athletic fields north of Applejack Field. The fields, dedicated as Eckhardt Field and McClellan Field after two distinguished Burr and Burton educators and coaches, were christened in the fall of 2016.
Applejack Field, Eckhardt Field and McClellan Field form a trio of some of the best athletic fields in Vermont and the surrounding areas. The professionally maintained fields are home to Burr and Burton Academy football, soccer and lacrosse, Manchester Middle School soccer as well as other nearby schools. The three fields are served by Chief’s Concession Stand, which serves food and beverages during busy games and tournaments.
Become a sponsor of Applejack Field. Call Heather Beaudry in the Office of the Town Manager at (802) 362-1313 (option 2) or firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more. Use of Applejack Field is by permit and for sporting events only. A fee of $400 for day events and $600 for evening (lighted) events applies for Applejack Field. Eckhardt Field and McClellan Field are by permitted use only in order to protect the playing surface. For more details contact the Parks and Recreation Department at (802) 362-1439 or email@example.com.
Factory Point Town Green is located in the heart of Manchester on Depot Street near the intersection of Main Street. The nearby waterfall provides for perfect setting for sitting on the grass and enjoying the sun or throwing a frisbee with friends. The Town Green hosts two historic items, an local history interpretative marker and a marble monument from 1912 that was part of the original Center Bridge.
The stage in the Town Green, used in conjunction with the summer concerts series, was constructed by the Town’s Department of Public Works in 2014 using blocks of marble from the arch of Center Bridge that were removed during the rebuilding of the bridge in 2012 and 2013. In the summer of 2016 the Town, through donations, constructed a post-and-beam, slate roofed bandstand over the marble stage. The Town Green was donated to the Town of Manchester by the Manchester Conservation Commission and Town residents.
For the health and convenience of the public, the Factory Point Town Green is a smoke- and tobacco-free Park. Dogs must be leashed while in the Town Green.
Adams Park, the smallest park, is named for long time resident Harry Adams. The Park is located at the intersection of Main Street and Center Hill Road, just north of the downtown area. Between June and October, on Thursdays between 3:00 PM and 6:00 PM, Adams Park hosts the Manchester Farmers’ Market.
For the health and convenience of the public, Adams Park is a smoke- and tobacco-free Park. Dogs must be leashed while in Adams Park.
Use of Town parks is governed by Chapter IV (Town Parks) of the Town’s Ordinances.
Manchester Historic Districts
The Town of Manchester has four distinct historic districts. The Manchester Center Historic District is located at the heart of Manchester on Main Street from Depot Street north to the former Quality Restaurant and includes the two new Roundabouts. The District includes locally owned businesses, shops and restaurants.
The North Manchester Center Historic District is located on Main Street from Memorial Avenue north on Main Street. This District includes restaurants, lodging, professional offices and residences.
The Manchester Depot Historic District includes portions of Elm Street and Highland Avenue off of Depot Street. The District includes a Town-owned public parking lot, constructed in 2010 with eighteen parking spaces and a bicycle rack. No overnight parking is allowed during the winter months. This District is a hidden gem, just off the beaten path and includes locally owned businesses, shops, handcrafted local food and residences.
The Bonnet Street Historic District is located on Bonnet Street, just off Main Street, and extends past School Street. This District includes professional offices, restaurants, shops and residences.
Read the 2008 Update of the Survey of Historic Sites and Structures, which includes details about the four historic districts, for more information. The Survey includes photographs of historic structures and maps of the historic districts.
Historic Sites, Markers and Monuments
The Factory Point Cemetery, located on the corner of Center Hill Road and Cemetery Avenue, is owned by the Town of Manchester. The Cemetery includes historic graves from before the Civil War. Burial plots are available for sale. Contact the Office of the Town Manager at (802) 362-1313 (option 2) for more information. The Cemetery is maintained by the Town’s Department of Public Works.
The Stone Valley Byway Interpretive Panel is located in Janacky Park, a small pocket park on historic Main Street. The marker was designed by the Stone Valley Byway Committee and installed in 2013 with the financial assistance of the State Agency of Transportation in 2013.
The Factory Point Town Green Interpretive Panel includes general information about Manchester history. The panel was design by the Manchester Historic Society and erected in 2011 with the financial and technical assistance of the National Park Service and the Champlain Valley National Heritage Partnership.
The Depot Historic District Interpretive Panel is located at the corner of Highland Avenue and Elm Street. The panel was designed by the Manchester Historic Society and dedicated in November of 2013. The panel focuses on the historic Depot District, its architecture and development over time as well as the district’s history and importance to the Town and its economy.